Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Snow Flower and The Secret Fan


I just loved this book. It was so mesmerizing and written so beautifully by Lisa See. I've already ordered Peony in Love, I hope it's as good as this one. The Secret Fan is about a love between 2 longtime friends and what they endured throughout their lifetime. They would write to each other on a fan that only they could understand and even in old age they continued writing on this fan. It must of been so beautiful to see a lifetime of friendship written on one fan. This secret code called, nu shu "women's writing" was a dialect only known to women in remote parts of china and men would laugh at it but once it was studied they found out how profound and deep it was. They would write stories, sing songs, etc just with 7000 characters. How Amazing.
I just really love the ancient chinese culture with the paintings, geishas and The Chinese Dynasty for some reason fascinate me except for how low they perceived women.
The one part of the book that I had to skip was when the girls were foot bound, I couldn't read some of the parts and gave me the chills just thinking of the pain. OUCH!!. Overall I found that I could relax with this novel as long as the boys were playing in the yard.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails