Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Family Heirloom

This was embroidered by my Great-Grandmother. The last time my grandma went back to her country of Guatemala her sister gave it to her because supposedly she said she was going to die soon, so she wanted her to have it. The good thing is my great aunt is still alive and healthy. She had a minor stroke at the time so she tought it was her time.
Anyways I am glad she gave this to her because it is the most beautiful thing I have ever owned. It has it's wear and tear but it is so simple that I just love it and the most important thing is that it's a part of my grandma. We think it's about 70+ plus years old and it's made out of a flour sack. She said in those times they recycled everything and sugar came in un-bleached sacks. So she took it apart and added a trim to the edge which was hand sewn. The flowers were all done without a pattern all around the edge of the cloth. It's a pretty huge piece, my grandma said she used it to keep the bread or hand made tortillas warm.
I wish their was a way to fix some of the holes and stains it has but it's all part of the use this little piece of cloth has, I just can't get over the idea that I own it now and will treasure it forever.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails